Barton under Neewood 19, Oswestry 24

Oswestry travelled the long journey to Barton in Staffordshire for a top of the table clash at the weekend with the home side looking for revenge over Oswestry for their defeat back in November.

In front of a good crowd of local spectators Oswestry kicked off and were quick to get into the home team’s 22 earning a scrum. Oswestry made a good start making crunching tackles that nearly saw Connor Bishop braking through before being stopped. Second row James Evans was able to force his way through to score the first Oswestry try of the match. The kick was missed.

Barton were awarded a penalty which proved to be many in the match that Oswestry conceded. However they missed the kick and Oswestry came straight back with Jedd Corbett making a glorious run before giving the ball to Luke Beckett who was too fast to be caught and he scored. Iwan Ellis converted.

Barton were not going to roll over and they skill and determination paid off with a forward charge at Oswestry and from five yards out their large prop wearing number 22 bull dozer his way through to score the first Barton try.


The play centred around the halfway with both teams refusing to give away territory but finally after 10 minutes or so Oswestry were on the attack and Connor Bishop ran at speed to score but the kick was missed.

Almost from the restart Barton were back on the attack but like before gave another penalty away. This time the kick was slotted between the uprights. And just before half-time Barton got another penalty and were able to slot it over for the score to stand at 11-17.

Just after the restart Oswestry were on the attack and great skill showed by Tom Hill was good enough for him to dodge the defence and score the important bonus points try. Ellis converted the kick.

Oswestry only had to defend their lead and hold out but Barton made it difficult and applied massive pressure on the visitors. Their rewards were another penalty which they converted.

Captain Gaz Ellis received a yellow card for a high tackle and this gave the home team an advantage of an extra man. Oswestry defended well but with very little time left Barton managed to score their second try.

With minutes left Barton were keen to get possession and charge back at Oswestry. The tension was high and after five minutes of superb defence Oswestry managed to keep their unbeaten record intact.

Tom Hill was awarded man of the match as he was everywhere on the pitch making good tackles and kicking for territory.

Oswestry are now 12 points clear at the top with Market Drayton moving into second place with 62 points.

On Saturday Oswestry are at home against Birmingham Exiles with a 3pm kick-off and Oswestry will play Market Drayton at home on April 2.