TWO dogs needed rescuing from a smoke-filled kitchen after Shropshire firefighters were called to a kitchen fire outside Oswestry on Thursday.

Three crews from Oswestry, Baschurch and Shrewsbury were sent to the house fire in Dovaston, near Kinnerley, shortly before 9am.

Border Counties Advertizer:

Firefighter James Lewis said that he and his colleagues had to force entry into the property’s kitchen to save the two dogs from smoke.


A Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) spokesman confirmed the cause of the property fire.

They said: “Crews used two breathing apparatus and one hosereel jet to tackle the fire.

Border Counties Advertizer:

“It was a small fire which was caused by cardboard left on a hob which was out on arrival of crews.”

A stop message was sent to SFRS control at around 9.35am to confirm no further support was needed.