OSWESTRY recorded an impressive 22-15 victory over league leaders Liverpool Collegiate on Saturday.
 The home side welcomed back key players who missed last week’s game through injury, and played with great confidence throughout. Oswestry seized the initiative in the game almost immediately, with a tremendous catch and drive from Liverpool’s kick-off. The Eagles pack pushed Liverpool back in the breakdown, with quick ball to their flying backs and the tenacity of Zac Baldwin gaining vital yards for the hosts. With a powerful drive and tremendous inter play between forwards and backs, James Anderson broke through and scored the opening try within two minutes. Kev Evans then converted with an excellent kick to provide a perfect start for his side. Liverpool responded well and upped their attacking intent, only to be repelled by superb defensive play from the Eagles who were strong and quick into every tackle. Liverpool tried to counter Oswestry’s tight play but couldn't prevent them from edging closer to their try line after a succession of scrums. The Eagles’ pack were impressive and dominated proceedings with a front three of Hesky, Smith and Keaveny ably supported by Fox, Wilford,Lucket, Baldwin and Rich Owen. Liverpool were clearly unaccustomed to finding themselves second best and struggled to cope with the fine handling of the Eagles’ backs, Andy Merrett and Luca Owen-Yuoens. In one of their many forays forward, Zac Baldwin capitalised on a gap in the Liverpool defence and dived over for a fantastic try. The reliable boot of Kev Evans again gave the Eagles maximum points from the resulting conversion.Evans then slotted a drop goal to give the Eagles a merited 17-0 half-time lead.Liverpool’s second-half response was swift, as they capitalised on a handling error deep in Eagles’ territory to cross for their first try of the game. They were, however, unable to convert the subsequent kick. Home captain, Andy Smith, rallied his players and implored them to re-assert themselves in the game. A fine sequence of play started with quick ball from the Oswestry backs who swung the play from one side of the pitch to the other allowing the dependable Fox to break through the Liverpool line for their third try, which Evans was unable to convert. Liverpool managed to increase the score with a penalty on the Oswestry 22 metre line, but Oswestry responded immediately with a penalty of their own after Liverpool had a man sent off.