Moore 30, Oswestry 28
OSWESTRY travelled to Moore for their last league game of the season.
They started well, pressing high into the hosts’ half from the off, and soon they earned a penalty which Kev Evans converted.
Moore then gained one of their own but it was kicked wide of the posts.
Eagles worked their way into the home half with good carrying by the forwards and Nick Clay made the most of a gap to accelerate through and score, with the conversion missed.
Oswestry continued to pressure and a good move by the backs saw Luca Owen-Youens burst through the defence to score, but the try was disallowed for blocking.
The hosts were spurred into action and poor defence by the visitors let Moore through to score an easy try, unconverted, making the half time score 8-5.
Soon after half-time, Evans added another six points through two penalty kicks but Moore scored another try from the kick-off, unconverted, with the Eagles punished once more for poor defending
But Oswestry worked back to the Moore half, with kicks by Evans gaining good territory and a good driving maul from a lineout saw Chris Hesketh power over, aided by Tom Keaveney.
Again, the Eagles fell asleep under the kick-off and the hosts scored another simple try with very poor defence from the visitors. The hosts then gained a penalty to put them within one point.
Again the Eagles worked their way into the Moore half and great vision from Nick Clay saw him burst through another gap to score with five minutes to go, converted by Evans. This time coach Gaz Barrett and captain Andy Smith implored the Eagles to keep their lead, but it was to no avail and terrible defending saw Moore score once more, converted.
All the Eagles needed to do was keep the ball, but poor discipline gave Moore a penalty within kicking range at the last play and their fly-half converted well for the win.
l The Eagles will be bitterly disappointed to have conceded so many soft tries and will need to step up for their Cheshire Shield final next week at Winnington Park.