TNS 2 Newtown 0

DEAN Ebbe took centre stage as TNS overcame local rivals Newtown to maintain their unbeaten start to the season at Park Hall tonight.

A cagey opening at a rain swept Park Hall saw both sides take their time to settle though it was the hosts who soon came to dictate proceedings.

Newtown goalkeeper Dave Jones made a comfortable save from Ebbe's headed effort from Louis Robles cross inside the opening five minutes.

Five minutes later Jones again gathered a tame header from Adrian Cieslewicz with the Newtown No1 also equal to another headed effort from Ebbe moments later.

The Robins' first real opening arrived on 13 minutes with James Davies breaking forward to release Ryan Edwards' whose shot was deflected wide.

While the Saints continued to enjoy possession they struggled to find a way through a well organised Town defence and came to be restricted to long range efforts.

Leo Smith tried his luck from distance on 22 minutes with Jones gathering at the second attempt while Tom Holland also blazed over moments later.

The Saints almost snatched the lead on the stroke of half-time when the ball landed kindly at the feet of Ryan Astles following a free-kick into the area but the ex-Chester defence fired into the side netting.

TNS led three minutes into the second-half with Ebbe finally making the breakthrough with a far post header following a corner.

Five minutes later Robles curled wide as TNS maintained their bright start to the half.

Ebbe completed his brace on the hour, seizing upon a loose pass back to Jones before rounding the goalkeeper and slotting into an empty net.

Ebbe continued to be the home side's most potent threat and on 68 minutes his rasping shot warmed the palms of Jones to deny the Saints striker his hat-trick.

Both sides rang the changes with 15 minutes remaining with Jamie Breese and Nick Rushton introduced for the Robins while Jamie Mullan and Danny Redmond looked to make an impact for the Saints.

TNS added club all time record scorer Greg Draper to the mix with 13 minutes remaining and the New Zealander almost made an immediate impact only for his lofted effort to be gathered by Jones.

Newtown had a chance to get back into the game with 10 minutes left on the clock with substitute Sean McAllister picked out by Jake Kelly only to fire wide from distance.

Late on Breese broke before squaring for Jordan Evans to blast over the bar in a rare opening for the visitors.

However there was no way back for Newtown as the Saints comfortably saw out the remainder of the game to maintain their impressive start to the campaign while leaving the Robins still looking for their first win on the road.


Harrison, Marriott, Astles, Harrington, Boateng, Holland, Routledge, Smith (Redmond 71), Cieslewicz (Draper 77), Robles (Mullan 75), Ebbe. Subs: Williams, Clark, Rees, Cornish.


Jones, Phillips, Kelly, Mills-Evans, Mitchell, Evans, Davies (Rushton 69), Williams, Ofori (Breese 69), Edwards (McAllister 77), Hughes. Subs: Steventon, O'Neill, Davies.