North West Counties League Division One South

FC Oswestry Town 3

Vauxhall Motors 1

FC OSWESTRY Town claimed their ninth win of the season after they overcame an in-form Vauxhall Motors side.

The visiting side came into the fixture having won four consecutive league matches, seeing them climb into the top half of the table.

Town were determined to not let their opponents leave with any points, and went ahead after just five minutes.

Vauxhall pulled a goal back before half time, but Town showed their class and scored twice in he second half to take three points and move 10 points behind the league leaders in 10th.

Town were looking to pick up where they left off against Sandbach, and managed to do exactly that when they found the net after just five minutes.

Harry Bower made the most of his opportunity in the starting 11 and scored the game’s first goal when he clipped a looped effort over the head of the visiting goalkeeper and into the net.

The goal gave Town the confidence to search for a second goal and they came close soon afterwards when Dave Howarth headed on a goal kick towards Mike O’Reilly whose driven strike was kept out by the visiting keeper.

Liam Parry was next to come close to scoring for the hosts when he cut inside and let his shot off from outside the area, but his effort was matched by a fingertip save to keep the score at 1-0.

His save proved to be a very important one as the first half was drawing to a close as Vauxhall broke through and drew level with just three minutes to go until the break.

Damas Kiwanda got on the ball after a good save by Louie Mackin, before crossing the ball towards George Hassell who made it 1-1.

The second half began with Vauxhall Motors taking the game to the hosts as they came close with a handful of chances early on.

Christopher Craven’s long-range effort came close before Benjamin Greenop almost got a vital touch on a whipped free-kick that went across the face of goal.

Town started to answer back with a few chances of their own, which paid off when Bower grabbed his second of the afternoon.

A cross was played into the box where Bower met the ball and fired home to make it 2-1.

After falling a goal behind, Vauxhall pushed forward in the search for an equaliser, however in doing so they left gaps at the back.

With a minute of regular time remaining, Craven rounded off a neat counter-attack for Town which put the visiting side out of the game and gave the hosts a well-deserved three points.

The result means Town are now in 10th place after two consecutive 3-1 victories.

Next time out, FC Oswestry Town travel to face second placed Wythenshawe Town in what will be a difficult fixture.

Wythenshawe have lost just twice in their last 10 games, and sit just a point behind league leaders Abbey Hulton United.

There are no more home games for Town until the new year, with their next three fixtures away.

After the Wythenshawe Town fixture, They travel to face New Mills away on Saturday, December 22 and Alsager Town on Saturday, December 29.