North West Counties League

Division One South

Rylands 7

Ellesmere Rangers 0

Ellesmere Rangers were on the wrong end of a big scoreline as they travelled to face one of the league’s best sides on the weekend.

Rangers travelled to Rylands on the back of a 2-0 win away at AFC Blackpool in their First Division Cup third round tie, however they were unable to carry their form into the game with them.

Rylands dominated the game from the first whistle, taking a 3-0 lead into the break thanks to a Jay White brace and a goal from Stu Wellstead.

The sides returned for the second half and the game unfolded in similar fashion with White completing his hat-trick along with a brace from Ste Boothman and a goal from Brad Williams to complete the rout.

It took just six minutes for the opening goal to come for the side that sit two points from top with three games in hand.

White broke through on goal and slotted his finish underneath the keeper to put his side a goal ahead.

Rangers were able to keep the score at 1-0 for around half an hour, but they found themselves pinned back in their own half absorbing pressure for the most part of the game.

It was 1-0 until Wellstead broke down the wing and crossed towards White who fired home a header for his second of the afternoon.

Rangers looked to keep the score at 2-0 until the break, but it wasn’t to be.

With two minutes of normal time remaining in the first half, White returned the favour by crossing a ball into the box towards Wellstead who stretched to knock the ball into the net from close range.

The sides returned to the pitch after the break with the score at 3-0, and Rylands picked up where they left off before half-time.

It took 12 minutes for Rylands to make it 4-0 and for White to complete his hat-trick.

Thomas Freeman crossed the ball from the left towards the back post where it was met by White to head home.

With 20 minutes of normal time remaining, Boothman made it 5-0 to the hosts when he got on the end of another good delivery by Wellstead and fired home.

The title-chasers weren’t finished there though, as they made it 6-0 with just under 10 minutes to play.

Williams burst into the penalty area where he was brought down and awarded a penalty. Boothman stepped up and had his penalty saved, but Williams followed it in and scored the rebound to score his side’s sixth of the afternoon.

The home side came close to getting their seventh with two very good chances in the closing minutes. Substitute Fraser Ablett struck the bar with his long-range shot before Freeman has his effort cleared off the line.

The seventh and final goal on the afternoon did come for Rylands in the 90th minute.

Williams’ cross found the head of Boothman who found the net and finished off what was a very disappointing afternoon for Rangers.

Rangers remain nine points adrift of safety at the foot of the table, after completing half of their league fixtures.

They return to Beech Grove for a bottom of the table clash against Stone Dominoes on Saturday.