Oswestry 21

Garstang 32

Oswestry welcomed Garstang to Granville Park in front of a good crowd with Oswestry looking to improve after last week’s defeat.

The hosts managed to take an early lead when Mike Mhute got his first try of the afternoon just seven minutes after the start.

Oswestry put themselves seven points to the good after James Roberts converted the try from a difficult angle.

After the restart, Garstang fought back and won a penalty which proved to be the first of many.

The Garstang full-back elected to go for the points but did not make the kick.

Oswestry doubled their lead shortly afterwards when a good phase of play found Mike Davies who forced himself over the try line under the posts.

Roberts converted the try again putting his side14 points up.

Garstang from the restart came back and got into the Oswestry 22 where another penalty was awarded to them.

The visitors decided to go for a scrum this time round and their number eight from the back of the scrum managed to drive over the line and score.

The resulting kick was missed, and the score changed to 14-5.

Oswestry wasted no time in regaining an extended lead when Mhute scored his second try of the afternoon.

Mhute’s try was again converted by Roberts and the hosts went 21-5 up.

Both teams were very evenly matched leading up to half-time, but Garstang fought well to get another try on the board before the break.

The visiting side’s prop drove through tackles to dot down, before a successful conversion made it 21-12.

Play was fast and furious with all the pressure coming from the visitors as the home team began to tire slightly.

Garstang scored a try after another penalty but did not score the conversion, meaning they trailed Oswestry by just four points.

The visitors now had the upper hand and started to look dangerous in the Oswestry half.

Oswestry hung out for another five minutes before Garstang scored their fourth bonus point try.

The try was converted and for the first time Garstang were in the lead with the score at 21-24.

After a handling error the visitors were back in the Oswestry half again and after more conceded penalties the visitors scored a penalty kick extending their lead to 21-27.

Oswestry were out of time and from another penalty Garstang scored a disputed try in the corner.

The kick was missed, and the final score was 21-32.

Oswestry lost their way in a second half that led to a number of penalties for offside being given by the referee.

It was a shame as they really played well in the first half but could not carry on in the second half.

Man of the match was given to Mike Mhute who not only scored two tries, but also tackled excellently.

Oswestry first team don’t have a game until Saturday, November 17 when they travel to Port Sunlight.