North West Counties

Football League Division

One South

Abbey Hulton United 2

FC Oswestry Town 1

FC OSWESTRY Town’s unbeaten run of seven games came to an end at the weekend after a 2-1 defeat away at Abbery Hulton United.

United have had an impressive start to the season and showed their quality to overcome an in-form Town side.

A double from Joshua Tune was enough to seal the victory for the hosts, with Town only finding the net once through Liam Parry.

The fixture was well-contested as Town looked to get off to a good start away from home.

However the visitors fell behind after just 14 minutes when a scrappy period of play resulted in Tune scoring his first of the afternoon.

Town settled into the game again after the goal and were able to grab an equaliser five minutes before the break.

Parry got on the end of a shot by Sean Jones and was able to deflect it past United’s goalkeeper to draw level.

The game was close again after the break, but Town were unable to hold out for a draw after Tune doubled his account to make it 2-1.

The loss ends the impressive unbeaten run of seven games in all competitions, after Town picked up another win midweek when they beat visitors Stone Old Alleynians 1-0.

It was a game of few opportunities with Town having the better of the chances that came few and far between.

They managed to grab what would turn out to be the only goal of the game when Mike O’Reilly played a long through ball to Parry who ran into the box before firing his left-footed shot into Stone keeper Adam Alcock’s goal.

After half-time, Town nearly doubled their lead when Ed Moss hit a free-kick from 25 yards narrowly wide.

Sam Spridgeon almost got his name on the scoresheet moments later when he got on the end of Lewis Jarman’s through ball before striking at the keeper.

The hosts were then denied a penalty shout when Dave Howarth was brought down inside the box late into the game.

The decision nearly proved costly when Alleynians came close to an equaliser with five minutes left to play.

Sam Wilson got onto the end of a good cross and fired his close-range shot over the bar, much to the relief of the Oswestry side.

Town face Cheadle Heath Nomads at home on Saturday (ko 3pm).