Four Crosses's superb start to 2018 continued as they advanced into the Emrys Morgan Cup semi-finals with a hard-fought extra-time win at Tregaron.

In a physical game, where the referee let a number of poor challenges go on the visitors, the first goal came Crosses way as Kyle Wilson smashed a superb free-kick from 30yrds and the home keeper was only able to parry to Ben Simms, who scored.

Turfs levelled in the second-half after having the better of the play, their striker firing home from 18 yards into the corner.

Crosses came back into the game with a succession of free kicks in dangerous areas but failed to capitalise on them. The visitors wre piling ont he pressure but still couldn't break their hosts down and extra time beckoned.

For all their huffing and puffing in normal time, Crosses took the lead immediately in the extra 30 minutes as straight from the kick-off, Kyle Wilson’s pass found Simms.

He then skipped one challenge before getting the ball onto his left foot to let rip from 25 yards with a thunderous sweet strike finding the top corner.

But Crosses needed Dan Wood as he pulled off a fantastic reaction point blank save from a Tregaron header from six yards moments later

Tired legs in the final half of extra time led to a number of snatched chances just missing the target; Jack Jones coming closest to extending the lead, skimming one off the bar after he battled hard to win the ball.

The final whistle was welcome sound for Crosses who advance into the final four.

Meanwhile on Saturday, the entire local programme for the JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League was decimated as Llanfair United Res, Llanfyllin Town, Llanymynech, Llanfechain, Llangedwyn, Llanrhaeadhr Reserves and Trefonen all missed out because of the weather.

On Saturday in Division One, Llanfair United Res face Caersws, Llanfyllin host Waterloo Rovers, Llanymynech are at home to Maesyrhandir – all at 2pm.

In Division Two, Llanfyllin Town Reserves travel to Churchstroke and Trefonen host Llangedwyn.

Shropshire Premier League

Shifnal United 97 1 Gobowen Celtic 3

Gobowen Celtic continued their recent good form as they picked up three points at Shifnal United 97.

The Gobowen side were made to pay for a sluggish opening 45 minutes when shortly after the break, Shifnal took the lead with their first real opportunity.

Joe Pierpoint provided an instant response, as he collected a fine switch of play from Ian Heathcock, and finished off the inside of the near post to equalise.

Celtic’s chances of finding a winner were then dealt a huge blow on the hour mark, as Jordan Gerrard was shown a straight red card after reacting angrily to a stamp on his foot.

However, this seemed to spark the away side into life, as they produced a much more impressive final 30 minutes, despite being a man down.

They got their noses in front from the spot, after the tricky Ish Rashid was bundled over in the box, and Chris Bishop duly converted the penalty kick before Pierpoint scored his second when his electric pace took him away from his marker, and he launched a dipping strike into the top corner from 20 yards

The strike sealed a sixth win in their last seven games in all competitions, lifting them into fifth place.

Another away trip follows next weekend, with a trip to Madeley Sports at 3pm.

Division One

St Martins Village were out of action this weekend but still maintain a four-point lead over Coven United at the top of Division One.

On Saturday, they host Wrockwardine Wood Juniors at St Martins Playing Fields (3pm) as United head to basement side Denso FC looking to give their goal difference a boost.

The Villagers can be caught at the top of the table but are 14 goals ahead of Coven.

In the West Midlands Regional League Premier Division, Ellesmere Rangers new management pair continued to impress as The Meremen picked up a solid 3-1 win at Malvern Town and face Smethwick at home (3pm).

In Division One, St Martins picked up an excellent 2-1 home win against Old Wulfrunians and move into fifth.

In the Welsh National League, Chirk AAA's clash with Hawarden Rangers was called off but the Reserves beat Queens Park 2-0.

In the North West Counties League, FC Oswestry's trip to Nelson was called off and they are without a game on Saturday.