Fire crews rescued a dog after a house caught fire in Oswestry.

Shropshire Fire and Rescue were called out to a house fire on Trewern Avenue yesterday evening (May 4).

Crews from Oswestry and Ellesmere were scrambled to the scene after the fire was reported at around 6pm.

According to the service the fire was in the kitchen of the property and seems to have been caused by the tumble dryer.  

Crews went into the house to put the fire out and, in the process, rescued a dog. 


A spokesperson for Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 6.02pm on Saturday, May, 4, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service Fire Control received a call reporting a fire classified as Property Fire in Oswestry.

“Two fire appliances were mobilised from Ellesmere and Oswestry. Operations and Fire Investigation officers were in attendance.

“Crews used breathing apparatus (BA), a covering jet, a hosereel jet, a positive pressure ventilation and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire.

“The fire in kitchen of domestic property was caused by the tumble dryer.

“Crews used two hosereel jets and 1 covering jet whilst wearing breathing apparatus.

“A dog was rescued from the property. Crews then ventilated the property using positive pressure ventilation and thermal imaging cameras to check temperatures within the property were safe.”