SHROPSHIRE Council has urged people to steer clear of a local beauty spot after dangerous blue-green algae was found.

The council has advised visitors to stay out of the water at The Mere in Ellesmere, because the algae can kill pets and cause illness in humans.

Their Facebook post reads: “Algae is affecting The Mere at Ellesmere

“It can kill pets and livestock and cause illness in humans.

“Please stay safe and keep out of the water.”

A spokesperson from the council said: “Bloom and scum forming blue-green algae can produce toxins which can kill wild animals, farm livestock and domestic pets.

“In humans they can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

“Not all blue-green algae blooms and scums are toxic, but you can’t tell just by looking at them, so it’s best to assume they are and to respect the warnings.”