VISITORS to two popular tourists attractions in Ellesmere have been warned to be careful as toxic blue-green algae was spotted.

The Mere in Ellesmere and nearby Colemere on the outskirts of the town are getting increasingly busy with visitors and are also popular with residents of the town.

But Shropshire Council has had to put up warning signs to make people aware of the potential fatal consequences to pets should they enter the water.

People are also warned not to enter the water as ingesting the algae could make them poorly.


Robert Macey, Shropshire Council’s Cabinet member for culture and digital, said explained that the algae is a common occurrence but has appeared earlier this year than usual.

He continued: “The algae is naturally occurring, but has appeared earlier than in previous years. We are working with our partners at the Environment Agency to explore possible reasons why.

“In the meantime people are being warned not to enter the waters or to allow their pets to either.

“Bloom and scum forming blue-green algae can produce toxins. Toxin producing blooms are called Harmful Algal Blooms. These toxins can kill wild animals, farm livestock and domestic pets.

Want to stay up to date with all the latest stories from Oswestry and the surrounding area? Click here to sign up for our morning and daily email newsletters and click on the + for the ‘Morning Briefing’ and the 'Daily Catch-Up'.

"In humans they can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

“Not all blue-green algae blooms and scums are toxic, but you can’t tell just by looking at them, so it’s best to assume they are and to respect the warnings.”

Shropshire Council is working with the Environment Agency to examine the causes and to monitor the situation.