OSWESTRY top the Midlands Four West (North) table after knocking previous leaders Barton Under Neewood off their perch.

The visitors arrived having topped the table all season but facing an Oswestry still with an unbeaten league record.

As predicted the match was evenly contested affair with neither side giving an inch early on.

A promising Oswestry attack saw Connor Bishop, Connor Blair and Andrew Smith make goo ground only for play to be stopped due to a Barton infringement.

Following a free kick Oswestry were able to get close to the Barton try line and Kele Raturoko scooped up the ball and broke through the line to score a try in the corner to give the hosts a five point lead.

Border Counties Advertizer: Action from Oswesry's win over Barnton. Picture by Nick Evans-Jones.

Action from Oswesry's win over Barton. Picture by Nick Evans-Jones.

Still Barton pressed but the speed of the Oswestry defence closed them down before they could break through.

However Barton just managed to brake the line as half time was looming and full back Iwan Ellis who was the last person to get through prevented the Barton player from scoring.

Cach Jordan Davies and captain Gaz Ellis were content with a battling first-half display from their charges.

Oswestry increased their lead early in the second-half with the Oswestry pack driving the visitors back for second row Mike Davies to gather from 20 yards and charge for the line with Ellis adding the extras.

Sadly a few minutes later vice captain Nick Clay had to retire from a head injury and his place at scrum half was taken by Noah Chunsi who came in from outside half.

After a short delay play resumed and Oswestry appeared more determined and dominated the line out and scrums pushing the Barton pack back.

Oswestry were playing entertaining rugby sending the ball out to the wingers from the scrum very quickly and only being stopped by the Barton teams dogged defence.

Finally the visitors conceded a penalty and Ellis was able to convert to give the hosts a 15 point lead.

Barton came back in the game as time was running out but Oswestry kept their discipline and did not allow the visitors to brake the line to score.

Finally seven games into the league Oswestry are in first spot with 32 points.

Next week the team travel to Birmingham to play Birmingham Exiles who are towards the bottom of the league with 11 points.

Meanwhile the seconds return to action at home to Newcastle IIs in the NOWIRUL The Right Broker Division Three South.