THE FAMILY of a Llanfyllin man who died on the A483 in 2017 have paid tribute to their son.

Daniel – known as Danny – was struck by a car on his motorcycle as he returned home from the direction of Oswestry in June, 2017, with Shropshire coroner John Ellery ruling that he had been going at the speed limit.

Danny's father Ian Hughes says his son had 'energy and warmth' for all and said he will be missed.

"Danny was a very happy, talented, and caring young man, he was enjoying his life and had so much to give and live for," said Ian.

"His energy and warmth was seen and felt by all who knew him.

"His presence and smile brightened the darkest day, and we treasure the memories we have of the years we spent with him. We will forever love and miss him and his kind and beautiful heart."

Danny died in June, 2017 after his bike struck Susan Hewart-Chambers's car, with the point of impact at or near the centre of the road just north of the driveway Mrs Hewart-Chambers was exiting.

John Ellery, Shropshire's coroner, recorded a death of road traffic collision (RTC) and multiple injuries at the end of a long inquest, held in December, and in his written summary – delivered nearly three weeks after the inquest ended – he stated that two questions needed to be answered.

First, the issue of Danny's speed approaching the bend before the accident, and secondly, whether Mrs Hewart-Chambers could see him when she exited a driveway from her house onto the road.

He said: "The speed of Danny’s motorcycle at the bend was at or around 60 mph reducing prior to impact.

"His motorcycle would have been visible to Mrs Hewart-Chambers when she emerged from the driveway."

Mr Ellery confirmed that his conclusion was drawn from evidence given by two former police officers and RTC investigators, plus Geraint Hughes, an eye-witness from the day of the accident.

Mr Hughes's evidence stated that he was approximately 280 metres north of the collision site as he had pulled over to fix ladders on his van.

Mr Ellery said: "As he was doing so he described Danny’s approach from his right.

"He described him easing off the accelerator and slowed down as he rode past him. He rode past him and he then got into his car and continued his journey home. He soon came across the accident scene within a matter of seconds.

"He described Danny’s riding as sensible, the speed limit for the road was 60 mph, the rider was within the speed limit and did not accelerate away harshly after he passed him."

Neil Taylor, was on the scene of the accident from 4.30pm that day, gave a joint report with Stephen Cash, also an RTC investigator and trained in using engine control unit (ECU) data plus a crash reconstruction software.

From his evidence, Mr Ellery stated that Danny's speed at impact would have been around 47-53mph, and that he acknowledged there was a small anomaly in the ECU data.

However, he accepted it because the car's airbags – controlled by the ECU – were set off, and that its finding corroborated Mr Hughes's evidence.

Mr Ellery also felt, from the evidence, that Mrs Hewart-Chambers would have had sight of Danny for around 3.5 seconds with a reaction time of around two seconds.

He also acknowledged that he felt Mrs Hewart-Chambers's evidence carried less weight because of some inaccuracies, although he did not criticise her for that.

In January 2020, she faced a trial but the prosecution offered no evidence and a not guilty verdict was entered.

Meanwhile, Mr Ellery has also sent a report to Highways England to 'prevent future deaths' by urging them to consider whether visibility to those turning right can be improved; whether the speed limit for the bend is appropriate; and whether a concealed entrance sign should be installed.

He has given Highways England until February 16 to respond.