THE New Saints are waiting to hear the outcome of their league match against Bala Town after the match was abandoned with just two minutes left to play.

TNS had fought back from two goals down to level the tie at 2-2 in the 87th minute - but moments later floodlight failure left the players in the dark, both literally and figuratively.

Centre-back Ryan Astles levelled the scores just moments before the match was called to a halt as the pitch was plunged into darkness.

Saints’ solid defensive start to the season, which saw them keep three consecutive clean sheets, came to an end as they found themselves 2-0 down after 30 minutes.

Bala took the lead after 17 minutes when striker Chris Venables put the home side ahead, before an own goal from TNS midfielder Jon Routledge doubled the advantage for the hosts.

But a stronger second half performance put Saints back on level terms, with Leo Smith grabbing the first goal before Astles made it 2-2 in the 87th minute.

It was an unusual end to the match after a number of floodlights at Maes Tegid switched off while the match was still being played.

Despite efforts to turn the lights back on to play out the remaining minutes of the match, referee Iwan Griffiths decided to abandon the game.

Scott Ruscoe was forced into making an early change after Danny Redmond picked up an injury – this saw Routledge step into midfield.

Moments later, a free-kick landed in the Saints penalty area for Venables who opened the scoring for Bala after passing the ball across the line from close-range.

Colin Caton’s men found themselves two goals up before 30 minutes of play when Will Evans worked well on the wing to deliver a low cross into the box which deflected off the leg of Routledge and into the net.

Despite the tide turning and TNS enjoying more chances as the half progressed, they had no goals to show for it as they went in for half-time.

A good start to the second half for Ruscoe’s men saw the visitors on the front foot for some time, with a Louis Robles cross narrowly missing his teammates in the penalty area.

Moments later, Smith reduced the deficit to just one goal with a long-range lobbed effort over goalkeeper Alex Ramsay on the hour mark.

Aside from an Adrian Cieslewicz effort, TNS struggled to create an opportunity good enough to get them an equalising goal.

That was until three minutes from time when Astles showed the instinct of a striker as he met a cross on the volley and fired past Ramsay.

With the scores at 2-2, the floodlight fault occurred and the game was abandoned moments later.

The FAW will now decide whether the result will stand, or whether the game will have to be replayed. 

Ruscoe’s men are back in action on Saturday when they face newly-promoted Flint Town at home (kick-off 2.30pm).