Horace Wynne Cup


Chirk Town 2

Penyffordd Lions 0

CHIRK Town were finally able to complete their quarter-final Horace Wynne Cup tie at home against Penyffordd Lions after the game was postponed twice previously.

It was worth the wait for the Taverners who came out as winners and booked their place in the semi-finals.

A goal either side of the break for Town secured the win, and takes them a step closer towards silverware for the season.

Chirk welcomed Nikki Williams, Dan Hughes and Jack Antony back into the starting 11 after their absence from the side in their last match against CPD Sychdyn.

It was a good start for Town who had their visitors on the back foot from early on.

The Penyffordd defence stood strong to deny Chirk any clear-cut chances in the opening exchanges; however a iven run from Matthew Cooke saw the skipper brought down outside the penalty area, giving his side a free-kick.

Up stepped Tom Freeman, the club’s leading goalscorer, who added to his tally with a well-struck effort which found the bottom corner.

Town used their momentum to push for a second during the remainder of the first half, and they were celebrating again shortly afterwards when Tristan Lloyd found the net; but his effort was ruled out for being offside.

Freeman went close before half-time, as did Jordan Dooley who struck the bar with his effort before the break.

Despite being against the wind in the second half, Town tried to make life difficult for Penyffordd by grabbing a second goal.

They were able to do exactly that when Naz Farhat, just five minutes into the second half, struck his effort into the top corner from 25 yards.

After doubling their lead, the hosts looked to protect the advantage they had, and defended well for the rest of the afternoon to keep a clean sheet and confirm the win.

They will now look to continue their successful season when they return to league action with a home match against bottom-of-the-table side Bellevue on Saturday (kick-off 2pm).

Chirk are one point behind the top spot with a game in hand.

FA Women’s National League Division One Midlands

Bedworth United 2

The New Saints Ladies 1

THE New Saints Ladies suffered a cruel blow late in their match against Bedworth United on Sunday as the hosts snatched the three points.

Saints fell behind on the scoreline early in the game, but drew level before half-time to head into the break with the score at 1-1.

After a close second half, TNS looked to be heading for a draw, but a late strike in the dying moments of the game for United secured the three points for the home team and sent Saints back to north Shropshire empty-handed.

In-form Katie Doster was the player to give her side hope in the first half after finishing well past the keeper following a well-placed through ball from Kim Bebbington.

It means Saints have now lost their last two games in the league against opposition sitting above them in the table.

They came out of their match against league leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers second best last week, before losing to Bedworth who sit second.

As a result, Saints currently sit fourth in the table and are currently 14 points behind Wolverhampton who lead the way.

TNS Ladies will look to turn things around when they host Long Eaton United on Sunday (kick-off 2pm).

Elsewhere in the division on Sunday, Long Eaton United picked up three points with a 2-1 win over Lincoln City.

The remaining league game at the weekend saw Sporting Khalsa win 2-1 against Doncaster Rovers Belles.

Shropshire Premier League

Gobowen Celtic 3

Stoke Heath 2

GOBOWEN Celtic moved back up the table to third after picking up a narrow victory at Stoke Heath on Saturday.

After just two games in as many months, Celtic returned to action for the first time since their cup defeat against Madeley Sports.

They returned to league action following their 8-0 drubbing of Hopesgate United back in January, and took home the three points in what was a close game.

Goals from Nathan Martin, George Morris and a first club goal for James Denham secured the victory for the Gobowen men who overcame the side sitting eighth in the league.

The result puts Celtic 14 points behind the league leaders, and eight points below second place having played three matches fewer.

Their next match takes place on Saturday when they will host league leaders Shrewsbury Juniors.

Elsewhere in the league, Madeley Sports were beaten 1-0 by Wrockwardine Wood Juniors.

Madeley and Wrockwardine are now one point behind Celtic.