North West Counties Football League Division One South

Stockport Town 3

FC Oswestry Town 2

FC OSWESTRY Town suffered their third defeat in four games after travelling away to Stockport Town on Monday night.

Despite taking an early lead, Town found themselves behind before half-time, before conceding again after the break.

Liam Parry scored a second for Town in the final 10 minutes, but it proved to be no more than a consolation goal.

The game was somewhat overshadowed with the arrival of former Premier League player Robbie Savage named in the squad for the Stockport side.

Savage signed for the hosts over the weekend, and his inclusion in the squad drew the biggest crowd in the league this season.

However, the 45-year-old started the game on the bench for the home team and watched on as Chris Craven opened the scoring for the visiting Oswestry men in the 12th minute.

His deflected strike looped over the keeper to give Nathan Leonard’s side an early advantage.

Parity was restored just six minutes later when Aaron Dwyer struck a free kick into the top corner and well out of the reach of Owen Skelton.

The sides looked to be heading into the break all square, but a mishap in defence allowed Stockport’s Dwyer to run through on goal and put his side one goal ahead before the half-time whistle.

Things went from bad to worse for Oswestry in the second half, when Stockport doubled their lead through Jardel Depeiaza who met a corner with a powerful header which found the net to extend his team’s lead.

Then came the moment the home fans had been waiting for – Savage was introduced after the third goal was scored to play competitive football for the first time since his retirement eight years ago.

The Oswestry men were not fazed by Savage’s presence in the middle of the park and started to look for a way back into the game.

It was in the 82nd minute that they found a breakthrough – Parry was able to guide his effort around the keeper and into the net to reduce the difference on the scoreline to just one goal.

Parry’s goal set up a tense final few minutes for the hosts as they searched for an equaliser, however they were unable to salvage a point.

Meanwhile, FC Oswestry Town were knocked out of the Cup on Saturday after they were beaten by North West Counties Football League Division One North leaders Lower Breck.

A second half goal for the visitors, courtesy of Michael Douglas, proved to be the decisive moment in the game.

Town will face Stone Old Alleynians in the league at home on Saturday.

The Macron Cup

Second round

Emley 1

Ellesmere Rangers 2

DESPITE their underwhelming league performances, Ellesmere Rangers look to be saving their best performances for cup competitions as they made it two wins from two in the Macron Cup with a win over Emley.

Rangers have won three games from three in all competitions after Karl Bailey and Owen Lloyd’s goals either side of the break proved to be enough to send them through to the next round of the cup.

On a foggy afternoon, the sides were both slow out of the blocks with both teams struggling to threaten their opposite goalkeeper in the opening exchanges.

The home fans thought they had reason to celebrate when debutant David Brown found the net after 10 minutes, but it was ruled out for offside.

Brown nearly opened his Emley account moments later though with a nicely weighted lob over Liam Cains in the Ellesmere goal, but the Rangers stopper was able to scurry back and clear the ball away before it crossed the line.

Chances went begging for Emley as Brown linked up well with Sam Agar but failed to provide the finishing touches to give their team the lead.

Rangers were able to slowly grow into the game and threatened on numerous occasions, with one effort being diverted by the woodwork.

The constant pressure from Ellesmere started to pay off and they were rewarded with a goal in the 31st minute.

Bailey picked up a through ball and kept his cool in a one-on-one with the goalkeeper by firing into the bottom corner.

The visiting Rangers side were able to hold on to their one-goal lead until half-time despite Emley ending the first period of play strongly.

Heavy fog meant the hosts were forced into a kit change at the break to make them more visible.

When play resumed, it took just eight minutes for Rangers to double their lead and make their position more comfortable.

A corner for Ellesmere was cleared and then sent back into the penalty area where it was met by Lloyd who headed home what turned out to be the decisive goal.

Their lead was reduced to one goal again after just nine minutes when Emley gave their home fans a reason to celebrate.

Agar got hold of the ball and showed great composure to dribble the ball around Cains and pass into the empty net.

From there onwards it was a case of protecting the lead for the visitors rather than searching for another goal to increase the advantage.

It was a very good performance by the Ellesmere back line as they managed to see out the final 30 minutes of the afternoon to put themselves through to the next round.

Ellesmere will hope to transfer their form in cup competitions to league fixtures when they host West Didsbury and Chorlton at Beech Grove on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Welsh National League Premier Division

Saltney Town 2

Chirk AAA 1

A LATE goal dealt a huge blow to Chirk AAA as they suffered their eighth defeat of the season at the hands of Saltney Town.

Having gone behind to a fifth minute goal, the Colliers gradually forced their way back into the game and bagged a second half equaliser.

However, a red card for the visiting Chirk men and a goal in the final 10 minutes for Saltney meant the Colliers went home empty-handed.

Elliot Hand opened the scoring in the fifth minute for the hosts with a nice finish over the top of the Chirk goalkeeper.

Chirk will feel as though they could have come away from the game with three points after not having the rub of the green for a lot of the game.

Phil Pearce, Niall Freeman, Harvey Edwards and Spencer Parrish all hit the woodwork and on several occasions forced the home side’s keeper to pull off some vital saves.

They went into the break one goal behind their opponents despite performing well.

It was not until the 61st minute that Chirk equalised – Harvey Edwards was quickest to react to a blocked effort and fired in from close-range to make it 1-1.

Chirk were looking to put themselves ahead, but on 75 minutes their inspirational midfielder Chris Bennion was shown red.

The red card handed back the initiative to The Bordermen of Saltney as they started to push for an all-important winning goal.

Their efforts paid off in the 81st minute when they scored to regain the lead

Jake Gibbons found space in the penalty area and latched onto a corner before firing home from five yards out.

It was a cruel blow to Chirk who had put in a good showing.

The Colliers are still yet to win in the league this season, and the result means they remain third from bottom having picked up just two points from a possible 30.

Chirk are looking to bolster their squad by bringing in three players on loan from The New Saints – James Blackman, Ben Dixon and Josh Grant have all had international clearance and will join the Chirk side imminently.

Next up for Chirk is the short trip to The Rock, Rhosymedre to face neighbours Cefn Albion on Friday night (kick-off 7pm).

Albion are currently level on points with league leaders Rhostyllen with only goal difference separating the two sides.

North East Wales Football League Premier Division

Chirk Town 4

Brymbo Victoria 1

A TRIO of first half goals for Chirk Town proved vital as they overcame the current league leaders Brymbo Victoria.

The solid first half showing from the Taverners stunned the visitors, who were able to pull one goal back after the break before Tom Freeman added his second of the game for Chirk to restore a three-goal lead for his team.

It means Chirk’s unbeaten run continues, with their record now standing at six wins and two draws from eight games.

Jordan Dooley opened the scoring for Town after quarter of an hour had been played.

Then, 15 minutes later, Steve Roberts doubled the lead for the hosts as they started to show their class.

They were able to extend their lead to three goals in the 39th minute when Freeman bagged his first of the afternoon.

After the break, Victoria looked for a way back into the game and reduced the difference to just two goals when Gary Evans found the net for the visitors.

However they were set back once again on the hour mark when Freeman scored a fourth for Town.

Chirk are seven points behind the leaders with four games in hand, and take on Mold Town United away on Saturday (kick-off 2pm).

Elsewhere in the division, Penyffordd Lions remain second in the table after picking up a 2-0 win at home against Caerwys.

Marcus Davies and Mark Gallagher scored for the hosts in the opening 30 minutes to give the Lions a comfortable early lead.

Borras Park Albion scored two goals either side of half-time were enough to secure victory in their home game against Bellevue.

The score stood at 1-1 after just 12 minutes of play, before Borras netted again before the half-an-hour mark to take the lead.

Two goals in the final 20 minutes for Albion confirmed the win.

Niall Challoner’s two second half goals for Acton were enough to earn his side three points against CPD Sychdyn.

The remaining game which was set to take place between struggling Bradley Park and Mold Town United was postponed.

Shropshire Premier League

Gobowen Celtic 1

Shrewsbury Juniors 3

GOBOWEN Celtic suffered their third defeat of the season as they hosted last season’s league winners Shrewsbury Juniors.

A red card for Celtic stopper Josh Kirk gave the depleted Shrewsbury side an advantage as they faced off with the in-form Gobowen men.

The result leaves Gobowen third in the table and eight points adrift of the top spot.

It was an even game for part of the first half, but that changed when Kirk was sent off before the break, allowing the opposition a great chance to put themselves ahead.

George Hughes was able to find the net for the hosts and keep his side in with a chance, but a brace from Daryl Rogers and a nice finish by Steve Rogers gave the Shrewsbury side a two-goal advantage.

Celtic were unable to get back in the game after falling two goals behind, and were made to settle for a 3-1 defeat.

Gobowen will be back in action on Saturday for another big game against a side sitting just one point below them in the table. They will host Wrockwardine Wood Juniors (kick off 2pm).

There was just one other fixture in the league on Saturday as Stoke Heath shared the points with top of the table side Wellington Amateurs Development in an entertaining 2-2 draw.

A draw for the Wellington side means they stay at the top of the table, but sit just three points ahead of Shrewsbury Juniors who have three games in hand.

Shrewsbury Juniors will take on Wellington Amateurs Development on Saturday as they look to go level with the league leaders.