The Cup

Second Round

St Martins 0

AFC Liverpool 5

ST MARTINS have parted ways with manager Paul Moore after a difficult start to the 2019/20 campaign.

The Saints suffered their ninth consecutive defeat on Saturday at the hands of AFC Liverpool in The Cup.

Five goals from five different players for the Merseyside club saw the north Shropshire men endure another difficult afternoon.

Prior to the defeat, it was announced Moore would be leaving the club who currently sit 17th in the North West Counties Football League Division One South table.

Moore’s side kept the game level for the majority of the first half, but failed to create many chances of their own.

The visiting Liverpool side created several dangerous chances, and it looked as though it would only be a matter of time before they made a breakthrough.

And that breakthrough came on the stroke of half-time; Callum Schorah worked himself into a good position out-wide, and delivered a dangerous ball into the penalty area for Kyle Schorah who was first to get a touch on the ball and guide it into the net.

The visitors took the lead into the break, and looked to increase their advantage as the second-half got underway.

They were able to do exactly that, as they built on their first-half performance by adding a further four goals. Their second goal came within two minutes of the restart – Callum Schorah was the provider again with his cross finding Daniel Cockerline who finished neatly to double their lead.

Another two minutes of play passed before AFC Liverpool made it 3-0 – Rhys Hardacre got his name on the scoresheet as he produced a great solo effort, rounded off by a finish over George Austin.

Hardacre turned provider for the fourth goal as he found Jay McGrane who found the net once more for the visiting team.

Callum Schorah then finished the rout in the 85th minute with a great strike to send St Martins crashing out of the cup.

A statement was released shortly after the match by St Martins.

It read: “It is with regret that St Martins Football Club have agreed to accept the resignation of first team manager Paul Moore.

“We mutually agree that his appointment hasn’t worked out the way we had all anticipated and therefore the club thank Paul for his efforts and wish him all the best in his future appointments.

“This turn of events follows a period of turmoil which includes a run of poor results, the resignation of the club’s general manager and a number of key players having left to go to a local rival team.

“We are however happy to announce that Dave Smith has accepted responsibility as interim manager starting immediately while the club advertise for a permanent replacement.”

With the club now looking for a new manager, Smith said he is happy to take up the interim role.

He said: “I’m really proud to be asked to take this role, and will do my best.”

St Martins return to league action on Saturday with an away game at Cheadle Heath Nomads. They then face Maine Road at home on Tuesday (kick-off 8pm).

Not all hope of silverware has been ruled out for St Martins despite their weekend loss to AFC Liverpool.

They face Padiham away in The Macron Cup on Saturday, October 19.

Shropshire Premier League

Premier Division

Gobowen Celtic 3

St Martins Village 1

IT WAS Gobowen Celtic who took the bragging rights in the first north Shropshire derby of the season with a home win against St Martins Village.

Celtic took a two-goal lead, before Village’s Zakh Ward pulled a goal back.

However, later in the afternoon, Celtic doubled their lead with Village chasing an equaliser, and took the three points.

With both sides starting the season well, it was an eagerly-anticipated game.

A minute’s silence was observed by both sets of players before kick off in memory of former Chirk Town footballer Jason Williams who died last week – players also wore black armbands as a mark of respect.

The scoring was opened by the hosts early in the afternoon when Jack Hughes found the net to give Celtic the lead.

Village struggled to get into the game in the first-half, and found themselves two goals behind at the break.

The Gobowen men doubled their lead through Ed Rogers who finished well to give his side some breathing space as they headed towards half-time.

As the second-half got underway, St Martins looked to grow into the game and make things difficult for the hosts.

They were able to do just that when they reduced the deficit to just one goal.

Ward found himself enough space to fire home and pull his side back into the game.

But all hope of a comeback for Village was made to look unlikely once again as Gobowen restored their two-goal lead.

Finn Lloyd-Butler scored the third goal for his team to all-but seal the victory.

The result sees Celtic move up to second, four points behind league leaders Wellington Amateurs Development.

Gobowen have two games in hand over Wellington.

Meanwhile, Village drop to eighth, but also have several games in hand over teams above them.

St Martins Village are back in action on Saturday when they host Hopesgate United, a side they recently beat 7-3 in the Challenge Cup. Gobowen Celtic travel away to Telford Juniors Reserves on Saturday.

By David Figg

The Cup second round

Garstang A

FC Oswestry Town A

JUST three minutes of FC Oswestry Town’s cup tie with Garstang were played on Saturday after an early injury saw the game cut short.

A challenge for the ball in the third minute of the fixture left Town youngster Callum Leigh unable to move his leg on the ground.

Town physio Jack Clements made his way onto the pitch and made it clear that the injury sustained was a bad one.

An ambulance was called, and it was later learned that Leigh had suffered a broken leg.

The 17-year-old was making his competitive debut for the north Shropshire side in what was shaping up to be a great contest between the two sides.

Town, who currently sit at the top of their league, looked like the favourites heading into the game, with Garstang sitting 19th in the North West Counties Football League Division One North.

With the game being called off at the weekend, Oswestry will face Garstang again on Saturday in the rescheduled game.

If Town progress to the next round, they will face Lower Breck at home on Saturday, November 23 in the next round.

Messages of support were sent to Leigh on social media following the injury.

The New Saints posted on Twitter: “Everyone at The New Saints FC wishes Callum Leigh a speedy recovery, after breaking a leg playing for FC Oswestry Town today. We’re all thinking of you, Callum.”

Town manager Matt Burton posted on Twitter, saying: “You showed tremendous strength and courage yesterday. That strength will get you through this.”

By David Figg

FA Women’s Cup

Second qualifying round

The New Saints Ladies 6

Long Eaton United Ladies 1

THE New Saints Ladies started their FA Cup campaign with an excellent display as they netted six past fellow National League Division One Midlands side Long Eaton United Ladies.

Katie Doster ran the show with two first half goals, before scoring again after the break to get her hat-trick.

United’s only goal came just three minutes from time.

Saints got off to a great start as they had a goal to celebrate in the opening seven minutes.

Doster was able to split the defence to find Laura Pennington, who turned past a defender before firing her effort from inside the penalty area into the bottom corner of the United goal.

The goal gave the hosts confidence, and kept United on the back foot for most of the opening exchanges.

Doster was next on the scoresheet, grabbing her first of the afternoon in the 25th minute with a well-placed header from Helen Evans’ free-kick to double the side’s lead.

And Saints made it three on the stroke of half-time; Kim Bebbington’s long-range pass found the feet of Doster who was able to control the ball and fire low into the net.

Doster wasted no time in getting her hat-trick at the start of the second half – the forward was on hand to fire home from another set piece as she put away Zoe Griffiths’ corner with a fine header.

It was 5-0 in the 76th minute after Lucy Brown rounded off a well-worked move with a good finish.

And five minutes from time, Charlotte Turner got in on the act and headed home from another Griffiths corner.

United scored with less than half a minute of normal time remaining.

Saints will face Peterborough United Ladies in the next round and are in FA Women’s National League Cup action on Sunday when they travel to face Derby County Ladies.

Ellesmere Rangers

ELLESMERE Rangers have parted ways with their co-managers after a string of poor results has left the side at the foot of the table.

Ryan Butcher and Mick Cutler have been at the helm since the beginning of the season, but the side has since failed to pick up a win in all competitions during their 2019/20 campaign so far.

Rangers sit 20th in the North West Counties Football League Division One South table, having picked up just two points from a possible 33.

The Ellesmere side endured a tough season last time round, after finishing in the relegation zone.

However, a league restructure saw the Meresiders reprieved from relegation.

Butcher and Cutler were brought in to attempt to steady the ship, however, with the side failing to win in 13, the pair have left the club.

A spokesman posted the news about the departure of the co-managers on Twitter, posting: “It is with regret we have to announce we have parted company with our managers Ryan Butcher and Mick Cutler.

“We would like to thank Ryan and Mick for all there hard work and wish them well for the future.”

Following the announcement, the club then announced they would be appointing Connor Courtney and Richard Brown as co-managers.

Brown, a former player at Walsall, has held the post as Rangers manager in the past, before stepping back from the role in January 2018.

Meanwhile, Courtney has experience of his own in the NWCFL, after spending some time at FC Oswestry Town.

Rangers were without a game on the weekend, however they will be back in action on Saturday when they travel to take on Cammell Laird 1907. They then turn their attention to cup action when they host Cleator Moor Celtic in the opening round of The Macron Cup on October 19.