Lancashire/Cheshire Division Two

Liverpool University 22

Oswestry 22

Despite dismal weather, Oswestry were able to get some play in as they drew away at Liverpool University.

After travelling to Allerton, Oswestry looked to build on their previous 106-10 drubbing of Newton-le-Willows, as they kicked off in front of a small crowd braving the terrible weather in Allerton.

The young Liverpool side kicked off and started strong, capitalising on some small errors by Oswestry to push the north Shropshire side back into their own half.

This paid off for the locals and after 25 minutes of play Liverpool had scored two tries and converted one of them taking the lead 12-0.

Oswestry fought their way back into the game and one such attack found the ball getting to Salvatore Domingo who, from 10 yards out, was able to drive over and score a try.

The conversion was missed, but the extra pressure by Oswestry paid off as the locals conceded a penalty which was converted making the score 12-8 in favour of Liverpool University.

At half-time, Oswestry were back in the game and after the break, they immediately took the game to the locals.

The locals defended well and it took 20 minutes before the pressure paid off with a charging run by Scott Smith to score the second Oswestry try.

The try was converted, and Oswestry went into the lead for the first time 15-12.

But the Liverpool men were not willing to let Oswestry hold the lead for long, and pushed forward from the restart.

They were awarded a penalty which was kicked well between the posts to bring the scores level again.

In this seesaw half, Oswestry came back and from a ruck, Andrew Smith charged over the try line to score. The try was converted, and Oswestry were 22-15 up.

Liverpool once again were not losing for long and scored their third try which was converted, making the score 22-22.

There was further drama and in extra-time, after 42 minutes of play, Ed Lewis was given a yellow card and Liverpool were awarded a penalty which would win them the game if it went in.

In the 44th minute, there was some confusion if the kick was converted and finally the referee judged the kick to have missed and both teams finished sharing the points.

Oswestry firsts are at home on Saturday as they host league leaders Port Sunlight.

Meanwhile, Oswestry seconds lost 33-12 at home to Wallasey.

They face a trip to Oldershaw for their next fixture on Saturday.