FA Buildbase Vase

FC Oswestry Town 6

Bustleholme FC 0

IT WAS a comfortable win for FC Oswestry Town at the weekend as they handed out a 6-0 drubbing to visitors Bustleholme FC, to claim their first ever FA Buildbase Vase win.

Town welcomed the West Midlands Regional League Premier Division side to Park Hall Stadium on Saturday evening, and got a win in the tournament for the first time in three attempts.

Three goals either side of half-time for Town were more than enough to see off their visitors.

It was the hosts who started strongly, controlling the ball and probing the visiting defence with the midfielders pulling the strings.

Their constant pressure from kick-off paid off after 20 minutes when they opened the scoring.

Chris Sergeant fed the ball in to Joe Newton, who in turn clipped the ball to Mike O’Reilly to fire home.

On the half-hour mark it was again O’Reilly who calmly slotted home after Dave Howarth found him from wide on the left.

Lewis Jarman then fired one home from the edge of the box to put Town three goals to the good at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart, Town found the back of the net again with Kevin Renshaw smashing one in from 25 yards out to put themselves in a very comfortable position ahead of the final 40 minutes.

The Oswestry men stepped things up another level and squandered a few chances – they could have increased the lead by a few more goals had things gone their way.

Bustleholme tried to avoid conceding any more goals, however Town were not finished and managed to get on the scoresheet again.

This time it was Matty Jones who found the net with a well-struck effort put out of the reach of the visiting keeper.

Then, with minutes remaining, Matt Cole rubbed salt in the wounds of the visitors to tap home a close-range effort to make it 6-0.

Oswestry saw out the game without conceding to round off a perfect performance.

The win means Town move into the second round of the cup to take on Gresley FC away on Saturday, September 14.

FC Oswestry Town are in cup action again on Saturday, when they face Steeton away in the PlayerMatch.com Cup.

FA Buildbase Vase

Hinckley AFC 2

Ellesmere Rangers 1

ELLESMERE Rangers lost their match in the opening round of the FA Buildbase Vase despite taking the lead against hosts Hinckley in the first half.

William Wells opened the scoring after 30 minutes, but a goal before and after half-time for Hinckley was enough to get the win for the Midland League First Division club.

Hinckley had goalkeeper Ty Belford to thank after his performance kept Rangers from drawing level on several occasions.

Ellesmere started well in defence and did enough to deny good chances for Ash Gray and Jake Brown early on.

Despite Hinckley looking stronger in the opening 20 minutes, it was eventually Rangers who broke the deadlock.

A well-worked counter-attack ended with Wells one on one with Belford and despite having his first effort saved, the forward managed to pick up the loose ball and slot home to make it 1-0.

Hinckley looked for an equaliser and hit back soon after conceding when Lewis Commins produced a good solo-effort to score from outside the penalty area.

After half-time, Hinckley took just three minutes to give themselves the lead.

Ryan Ball struck his free-kick towards goal and a big deflection off the wall diverted its path and left goalkeeper Leon Reece stranded as it found the net.

As the game approached an end, the visiting Rangers side were enjoying more possession and getting forward more in search of an equaliser, however a resilient defensive display from the hosts meant Rangers could not create a clear-cut chance, and the referee called an end to the game.

Rangers are in PlayerMatch.com cup action on Saturday with an away game at Abbey Hulton United.

FA Buildbase Vase

St Martins 0

Shifnal Town 3

ST MARTINS were knocked out of the FA Buildbase Vase in the opening round on Friday night after a loss at home to Shifnal Town.

Saints failed to score as Shifnal put themselves two goals ahead in the first half.

A late goal for Shifnal in the second half made it 3-0 and sent St Martins crashing out of the cup.

Visiting Shifnal struggled to get into the swing of things at the start of the evening with Saints starting well.

James Durman had the first chance of the afternoon for the hosts as his header found the target but was kept out.

It was Shifnal, however, who made a breakthrough in the 32nd minute when they got a fortunate goal direct from a corner, courtesy of Craig Radford.

Shifnal looked stronger after their goal and used their momentum to double their lead before the break.

Jake Lloyd found space in the St Martins penalty area and had the simple task of hitting the target from close-range to go 2-0 up.

After the break, Saints looked to find a way back into the game and did not come too close until Karl Bailey had a good opportunity in the 72nd minute – his strike from close-range looked to be heading in but it was matched by a good stop from the visiting keeper.

With St Martins committing men forward, Shifnal were able to grab a third in the dying minutes of the game to confirm the win.

Tom Hill found the net in the 92nd minute and the game came to an end.

A disappointing result for St Martins means they are out of the vase.

St Martins return to action on Saturday with a league fixture against Wythenshawe Town away (kick-off 3pm) before a home game against Barnton on Saturday, September 14.

Welsh National League

Premier Division

Brymbo FC 1

Chirk AAA 0

A MISERABLE start to the season for Chirk AAA continues after they suffered their fourth defeat from five games on Saturday.

With four minutes left to play, Chirk conceded and were unable to respond, meaning they slip down to third from bottom.

An evenly-contested game stayed 0-0 until Jamie Cummings found the net for Brymbo in the 86th minute.

While Chirk fall down the table, Brymbo take the top spot after their win.

North East Wales Football League

Premier Division

Chirk Town 2

Mold Town United 0

TWO second-half goals were enough to take the three points for Chirk Town in their midweek fixture against Mold Town United.

Town battled well in the first half to keep the scores level.

In the second half, Chirk started much faster and scored twice in the opening 10 minutes to go two goals up. Tom Freeman and Matthew Cooke grabbed a goal apiece and Town held on despite losing Freeman to a red card midway through the second half.

Town take on Penyffordd Lions away on Saturday.

Shropshire Premier League

Premier Division

St Martins Village 6

Telford Juniors 1

ST MARTINS Village kicked off their season in style as they comfortably beat Telford Juniors.

Goals from Harry Dunn, Lewis Jones, Lee Morris, Luke Riley and a brace from Daryl Davies made up the scoreline against one of the league’s new sides.

St Martins Village will look to make it two from two when they host Wellington Amateurs Development on Saturday, September 14.

Shropshire Premier League

Premier Division

Gobowen Celtic 2

Wellington Amateurs Development 2

BOTH sides showed why they are yet to lose a game as they shared points in their game on the weekend.

Goals from George Hughes and Ed Rogers secured the draw.

Celtic face an away trip to Wrockwardine Wood on Saturday.