A Chirk man who took a knife into a busy hospital accident and emergency department will be sentenced at crown court.

It was also alleged at North East Wales Magistrates' Court at Mold on Wednesday, that Mark Andrew Davies, St Mary's Close in Chirk, threw the knife in the direction of a nurse and threatened to stab his ex-wife's new partner.

Davies, 46, admitted he had a knife at Wrexham Maelor Hospital on Friday, August 2 a steak knife but claimed he had simply thrown the knife on the floor, and the only person he threatened was himself.

His case was sent for sentence to Mold Crown Court later in the year after prosecutor Rhian Jackson said that his basis of plea was not accepted.

Jessica Roberts was a sister working at the triage desk assessing patients when the defendant entered the room at 10.45pm.

As she sat down he produced a steak knife, held it towards her, said 'here is my f*****g knife' and then threw it in her direction, said Mrs Jackson.

It landed on the floor, she stood on it and flicked it under the table and tried to defuse the situation by pretending that nothing had happened.

He said his "head was all over the place" and that he intended to kill his ex-wife's new partner.

Davies said that he went to try and kill him but 'bottled it', but said if threatened by anyone he would stab them and then slit his own throat and arms.

Police were contacted and the nurse told how the hospital was a place of safety and weapons being brought in would not be tolerated.

She believed the threats were genuine and not just words.

He had got the train from Chirk carrying the knife wrapped in tissue inside a cereal box.

Defending solicitor Euros Jones said that his client accepted attending A&E with the knife.

It was his case that he had thrown it 'under arm' not in the direction of the nurse and that his basis of plea was consistent with his police interview.

He was also refused bail.

Deputy District Judge Huw Edwards said the circumstances of the case were so serious that it would have to be sentenced in the crown court at a later date.