We take a look at an interesting account of a pub from a book entitled Oswestry, with an account of its old houses, shops, etc and some of their occupants, by Isaac Watkin (1920).

The full name of the pub in 1920 was The Kings Head Vaults, at Number 12, Church Street.

There was a malthouse attached to the pub in the early days of the pub’s business, but at the time of publishing, the malthouse was already demolished.

The entry into Watkin’s book begins as follows: “The front of this house has been rebuilt, but its rear portion (ground and first floors) comprising low, but cosy rooms and passages and fire place (six feet thick and 10 feet wide) shows some of the original timber framing and the height of the structure at the same time (centuries ago) when the roof was of straw.”

No date is given as to when the pub first opened its doors to customers, or as to when the building was constructed, but the first entry to the Oswestry Borough Registers is given as 1803, with the tenant being a Mr John Jones, who lived in the property until 1810 when tenancy was passed to Mr Cadwaladr Ellis.

Ownership passed to Mr Pritchard in 1828 and, upon his death, passed to Mrs Pritchard, his widow. The list is endless.

Since the publishing of Watkin’s book, The Kings Head has become one of Oswestry’s most popular pubs and, 10 years ago, became a nightclub.

Following a temporary period of closure starting last year, the pub reopened last week as a pub, to an enthusiastic crowd of excited ‘burgesses’. Long may the tenancy list continue!

Sources:Oswestry, with an account of its old houses, shops, etc., and some of their occupants by Isaac Watkin (1920).