North West Counties Football League Division One South

Stone Dominoes 0

FC Oswestry Town 5

With just seven fixtures left to play, FC Oswestry Town continued their late push for the title as they moved to within six points of league leaders Rylands with a comfortable victory away at bottom of the table Stone Dominoes.

Having picked up just 13 points from 31 games, the hosts looked as though they would be no match for the visiting Town side who have climbed up the table to sixth as the season draws closer to an exciting finish.

The game saw the return of Liam Parry who has spent some time on the sideline with an injury - the young forward showed no effects of his layoff, bagging two goals and picking up the man of the match award.

Goals from Owen Lloyd, Michael O’Reilly and Samuel Spridgeon added to Parry’s brace to take Town’s total to five for the afternoon.

It was a cagey opening 20 minutes or so for both sides, as the out of form hosts looked to settle into the game against one of the league’s best-performing sides.

It took until just before the half-hour mark for Town to break the deadlock.

Lloyd opened the scoring when he fired home his headed effort.

This seemed to open the floodgates and Town were able to push forward and find the net another two times before the break.

O’Reilly broke through the defence and beat the keeper with a cool finish to double his side’s lead, before a stroke of luck gifted Parry with a goal on his return.

With a comfortable 3-0 lead heading into the break, the points were all but sealed for Town.

However the visiting side were keen to not lose their concentration, and came out with the same attacking mentality that they had shown throughout the first 45 minutes.

It took just six minutes for Town to find their fourth of the afternoon when Parry got his name on the scoresheet again to bag himself a brace.

Despite the bad weather the visiting side showed their class throughout the afternoon and continued to get forward well.

Just five minutes after Parry bagged his second, Spridgeon was able to find the net for what would turn out to be the final goal of the game.

The hosts were well-beaten, and despite Town not scoring another goal, they didn’t get many chances up the other end of the pitch to grab themselves a consolation goal.

It was an easy afternoon for Mason Springthorpe in the Town net, who made it two clean sheets from two appearances.

It was also an afternoon to remember for Matthew Lomas - the 16-year-old came on off the bench to play his part in securing the victory.

The comfortable win gives Town another valuable three points as the season starts to draw to a close.

Town sit in sixth, but are well in the mix at the top of the table, with just two points separating themselves and second placed Stone Old Alleynians, and six points separating them from the top spot.

They have two huge fixtures coming up in the league - first up they face Abbey Hulton United at home on Saturday, March 23.

Then, on Saturday, March 30, they come up against current league leaders Rylands.