Textiles left on top of a cooker led to a fire at a house in Oswestry on Sunday afternoon.

Three fire crews from Oswestry and Ellesmere were called to Maple Avenue at around 1.20pm and used two jets, breathing apparatus and a thermal imaging camera to put out the fire. They gained entry via a window at the rear of the property.

A spokesperson for Oswestry Fire Station said: "On arrival smoke was visible within the property. Crews forced entry via a rear window and breathing apparatus crews entered for firefighting and a search and rescue brief.

"Persons were later accounted for."

Firefighters remained on scene for about half an hour.