Goalless draw for The New Saints against Rhyl


Dan Heald

Dafabet Welsh Premier League
Rhyl 0 ,The New Saints 0
THE New Saints and Rhyl played out a goalless draw at the Corbett Sports Stadium in the Dafabet Welsh Premier League.
The Saints began well and dominated the early possession but with 15 minutes gone, Thomas Donegan’s great long range shot nearly caught Paul Harrison off his line but the TNS goalkeeper did well to tip over the bar.
Greg Stones then headed over the bar after TNS had failed to clear and moments later Aeron Edwards also had a chance but his header also went over as both sides struggled to break each other down.
Five minutes before half time, Edwards then found space on the edge of the box but his powerful low drive flew just wide of the post.
The second half began with TNS again trying to create an opening but with an hour played, Craig Harrison decided to send on Matty Williams and Greg Draper in search of a goal.
With only 20 minutes remaining, Chris Seargeant’s powerful strike whistled past the post as TNS pushed forward in pursuit of what looked likely to be a winning goal.
With only 10 minutes to play, substitute Aaron Rey latched onto a defensive mistake but Harrison was quick off his line and produced a magnificent save.
TNS then won a free kick on the edge of the box. Seargeant stepped up and his free kick flew inches over the bar.
A minute later and Draper headed just wide of the far post after sending goalkeeper Mike Askew the wrong way.
Despite The Saints’ late pressure they were unable to make the breakthrough and Rhyl held on for a draw.
One win and two draws from the opening three fixtures of the new campaign sees TNS sitting third in the table.
Newtown top the standings ater they maintained the league’s only 100 per cent start to the season with a 2-0 Friday night win at Llandudno and  Bangor City won their first game of the new campaign with a well-deserved 4-1 win at Airbus UK Broughton. 
Port Talbot Town climbed into second place after beating Aberystwyth Town 4-2 at the GenQuip Stadium.  Aberystwth striker Jamie Reed scored his third goal in two games since arriving from TNS on loan.
The New Saints’ next match is at home against high-flying Port Talbot Town on Saturday, September 12 at 2.30pm.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read