TONIGHT will see Diana Beard compete in the first episode of The Great British Bake Off (GBBO).
Just hours ahead of the popular BBC1 show, the Shropshire woman, who at 69 is the oldest ever contestant, has revealed her favourite recipe.
Why not have a go at it yourself and send us your photos with you and your scones, along with your name and address, to firstname.lastname@example.org
DIANA BEARD'S SAVOURY SCONES
225gms self raising flour
Pinch of salt
75gms grated, full flavour Cheshire cheese
6fl oz plain, full fat yoghurt or buttermilk
1tbl spoon finely chopped chive
1 tsp English mustard powder
A twist of black pepper
1. Rub butter into sifted flour, salt, pepper and mustard powder.
2. Add cheese and chive.
3. Mix in yoghurt, you may need a little more to make a soft dough.
4. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface, and cut into any shape you wish, tiny for canapés and larger for tea.
5. Place on floured baking tray, brush with milk.
6. Bake at 400° F, 200° C, or gas 7, until golden.
7. Serve canapés split with a knob of cream cheese, topped with a cherry tomato and a basil leaf.
8. Serve the large scones with butter and a slice of cheese and chutney.
"Good luck and happy baking," says Diana Beard.
See full story in the Advertizer