INTERNATIONAL football came calling for one St Martins player last week when he joined the Wales team.
Goalkeeper Connor Roberts joined the squad for their friendly against Holland last Wednesday.
However, despite missing out on his first cap after being kept on the bench and the Welsh side losing 2-0, the 21-year-old said it was still a “fantastic” opportunity.
He told the Advertizer: “It was unbelievable; it was like nothing I have ever experienced in my life.
“To see 50,000 people in the stadium cheering on their side, I have never had an experience like that.
“Even being on the bench was a massive achievement and experience,” he added.
The ex-Cheltenham Town ’keeper was called up by Wales manager Chris Coleman after former Weston Rhyn ’keeper Boaz Myhill announced his retirement from international football earlier this year.
Roberts, who has been in goal for the Wales Under 21s in the past, continued: “To go into the senior side was a big move.
“I couldn’t believe it [when I was named]; it was mad and it was a bit of a shock. But I kept training to keep my focus in the week between being named and the match taking place.
“I couldn’t put it into words, but I was concentrating on being professional,” he added.
The former Everton goalkeeper announced his decision to part company with League Two side Cheltenham Town last month after earning a single first team appearance on the last day of the season.
He has previously represented Wales’ Under 16 and Under 17 sides.