Suicide verdict on woman in bridge plunge


Staff reporter (Border Counties)

AN intelligent and talented writer who jumped from a Chirk bridge suffered with mental health, an inquest heard.
Sarah Jones, 48, from Glentworth Avenue, Oswestry, died on December 30, 2013 when she jumped from a bridge on the A483 near Chirk.
An inquest held in Ruthin on May 28 heard Miss Jones, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, was a “beautiful writer”.
North East Wales coroner John Gittins, who has seen some of Miss Jones’ writings, said: “These deserve not to be hidden away, something should be done with them, they are sad and very troubled, but beautifully written and maybe could be helpful to other people.

“Sarah made notes for the last three months of her life. They are very eloquent about the trouble she had and the difficulty she was seeking to face up to in her life and very clearly recognised it.
“Even though she had extensive help from the mental health team who she had much praise for, she thought there was nothing they could do for her,” he added.
The inquest heard Miss Jones’ mental health started to deteriorate in 2000 and she had a lot of support from the Wrexham Mental Health team.
Miss Jones’ sister Delyth Catherie, from Devon, visited her sister and her mother for Christmas.
In a statement she said Miss Jones wanted to go out for fresh air on December 30 so Ms Catherie and her partner Francisco Pinhiero drove her towards Ellesmere.
But Miss Jones said she felt sick and they stopped in a layby near the bridge.
Miss Jones got out, lit a cigarette and started walking towards the bridge.
Ms Catherie said: “We drove over the bridge to catch up with her and stopped in a layby on the other side.
“I walked back to the bridge, and I saw Sarah. She was walking towards me and I ran to her hoping she would not look down.
“I saw her look over the bridge and climb over the rails and she went over the side."
Miss Jones had a history of self-harm and suicide attempts.
On Christmas Day she crashed her car, but afterwards said it was not a suicide attempt.
She was just agitated and spoke with a member of the crisis team in Wrexham.
On December 30, the day of her death, Miss Jones made a distress call to the medical team and wanted to speak with her doctor, but he was not in and she hung up.
The inquest heard of a previous incident. Paul Roes, from Wrexham, said in a statement: “On December 20 I was driving along the A483 from the McDonald’s Restaurant direction by the big bridge of Chirk bypass heading home to Wrexham.
“I saw a female on the bridge as I went past and I saw her walk into the road. I saw her lie down in the road and cars swerved around her.
“I went into the layby and called the police. I was worried for her safety and other drivers,” he added.
Miss Jones’ other sister, Liz Webber, told the inquest: “I don’t think there is enough money in mental health to do what they need to, but they did all they could for my sister.”
Miss Jones died of multiple major injuries and Mr Gittins reached a conclusion of suicide.

See full story in the Advertizer

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read