Two men face jail for drunken pub assault


Staff reporter (Border Counties)

TWO men have been warned they face custody following an ‘unprovoked and sustained attack’ in an Oswestry pub.
Gary Peter Scott and Dean Richard Jones had been due to stand trial at Shrewsbury Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, March 19 but pleaded guilty to respective charges of actually bodily harm against Dennis Perrin and assault by beating against Andrew Nathan Whitley in The Plough public house on May 11, last year.
The court was told Mr Perrin asked Scott, 23, of Woolston Bank Cottages, Woolston, near Oswestry, not to cause any trouble after the landlady refused to serve him before the defendant punched him half a dozen times in the face before he fell and chipped a tooth.
Jones hit Mr Whitley several times in the face leaving him with a broken nose and bruising to his face, chest and shoulder.
Prosecutor Mr Andrew Burke said: “This was an unprovoked and sustained attack.”
Reading from witness statements he said Mr Perrin suffered a loss of earnings and is now “cautious” when he goes out and does not initiate conversations, while Mr Whitley has suffered disturbed sleep and now snores.
Mrs Ceri Lewis, defending, claimed the fracas was started by Mr Perrin and Mr Whitley.
She said: “There is no doubt all parties were intoxicated but it is not an excuse for the behaviour.
“Scott says Mr Perrin was verbally abusive and swore at him. He was struck to the ear and retaliated and says he had taken it to far. He should have walked away.
“Jones came across and there was an altercation with Mr Whitley who he says stuck him so he stuck him back. However he says he slipped to the floor. He should have walked away. Immediately after they both left.”
She also said Jones was on mental health medication and is alcohol dependent.
Scott also faced two further charges at the hearing, one an assault by beating of Simon Derek Cole in Willow Street in Oswestry on September 14, last year, which he pleaded guilty to, and a further assault by beating against Alex Brookes-Smith outside the Boar’s Head in Oswestry on June 21, last year, which he pleaded guilty to at a previous hearing.
Mrs Lewis said: “He admits he has major anger issues exacerbated by alcohol but he is trying to cut down his drinking and has acknowledged he needs help.”
Chairman of the bench, Mrs Susan Vaughan-Owen agreed to adjourn the hearing to April 8 pending pre-sentence reports, but added: “All options are open and there is quite a likelihood of custody.”
Scott and Jones were granted unconditional bail.

See full story in the Advertizer

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read