Killer appeals jail term twice


Staff reporter (Border Counties)

THE aunt of a young father killed with an ornamental  sword has reacted angrily after the man convicted of killing him appealed against his sentence for a second time.
Danny Jones, a 21-year-old trainee accountant from Chirk, was killed by an ornamental Lord of the Rings replica sword, pictured right, with a 12-inch  blade during a fight with Richard Adam Reece on April 24, 2013, in Oswestry.
Reece, 19, originally from the Mid Wales area but living in Oswestry at the time of the incident, had denied murdering the father-of-one.
Reece was convicted in November of the lesser charge of manslaughter by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court after a two-and-a-half week trial and was sentenced to 12 years in jail.
Reece confirmed he would appeal against the sentence at the Court of Appeal in London in December, and it was rejected on February 3
But the Court of Appeal has confirmed Reece has made a second appeal against his sentence, but could not confirm a date for the hearing.
Mr Jones’ aunt, Sharon Gwilliam, 46, of Chirk, reacted angrily to the news that Reece has appealed against his sentence not once, but twice.
She said: “I think he should have had more time originally. Twelve years is nothing. It should be life for a life.
“We are furious. He has  shown no remorse for what he has done by appealing again. He should be taking the consequences and be grateful he only got 12 years.
“When he gets out of prison he can go straight into his mother’s arms, but that will never happen for Danny.
“His  mother is devastated by this news,” she added.
Reece denied the charge, claiming Mr Jones fell on to the ornamental sword he produced during the fight.
The sword damaged two veins and caused a “massive bleed” which led to Mr Jones’ death.
During the trial a jury heard Reece and Mr Jones had been drinking heavily together at Reece’s home in Lord Street, Oswestry.
But as described at the trial by Robert Price, prosecuting, “the situation changed quite dramatically” after Reece was said to have made a comment about Mr Jones’ parenting.
The disagreement descended into a fight which spilled on to Oak Street car park and the nearby recreation ground.
The court heard the fight came to an end when Reece ran back towards his home.
But he soon returned with a weapon which witnesses variously described as a “metal pipe”, “chisel” or “plastic guttering” as well as a knife or sword, which ended up being the fatal weapon.
Sentencing Reece, Judge Melbourne Inman QC said: “On the afternoon of Wednesday, April 24, you and Danny Jones were drinking together as friends but within
hours you had unlawfully taken his life.
“He obviously, as you do, had his life ahead of him.
“You have heard the devastating effect his death had on his mum and family. Danny was her only son and her terrible sense of loss and emptiness is clear,” the judge added.
The judge acknowledged Reece did not intend to kill or seriously injure Mr Jones and said it was clear Mr Jones was the initial aggressor but described it as “scuffling and relatively minor violence.”

See full story in the Advertizer

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read