Shropshire farmer impaled on baler forks


Sarah Staples

A FARMER suffered serious injuries when he was impaled against a bale of hay and tractor forks went through his back.
Graham Heatley, 52, was working on The Grange Farm in Lyneal on Thursday, February 13, when two large bailing prongs on the front of a tractor went through his back and impaled him against a hay bale.
The man was trapped for around two hours before being flown to North Staffordshire Hospital by the Midlands Air Ambulance.
Mr Heatley’s mother, Mary Heatley, told the Advertizer: “He is in a stable condition. He had surgery on Thursday night and when we saw him he seemed to be in high spirits.”
His sister Claire Patterson, travelled from Poole in Dorset after the incident happened.

She said: “The neighbours have been helping and they have been very good to us. All their help has been very kind.”
A fire crew from Ellesmere, a rescue tender from Wellington and an operational officer attended the incident shortly after 3pm.
An ambulance, a rapid response vehicle and Midlands Air Ambulances from Cosford and Staffordshire also attended.
Fire crews used holmatro cutting gear and small gear to release the man and he was taken by air ambulance to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire where he underwent surgery for his injuries.
John Deakin, crew manager for Ellesmere Fire Station, said the man was trapped in farm machinery and the crew spent a considerable amount of time releasing him.
A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service added: “Crews arrived to find a man who had become injured by a piece of machinery, which had impaled him through his lower back and had trapped him against a hay bail.
“The man was trapped for approximately two hours while ambulance crews worked closely with the fire service to release the man, who had been given advanced pain relief. Once freed safely, the man was stabilised and airlifted to the major trauma centre at University Hospital of North Staffordshire for further assessment and specialist treatment.
“The hospital had been pre-alerted and medics were on standby awaiting his arrival.”

See full story in the Advertizer

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read