OUTRAGED residents filled a Shropshire Council meeting today (Tuesday) to hear a new housing development plan thrown out.
The contenscious proposal to build 22 homes in Trefonen was unanimously refused by members of the North Planning Committee after they felt it was "unsustainable".
Councillor David Lloyd said that the 200+ objections from residents, some of which arrived just 24 hours before the meeting, "came as no surprise".
He added: "We would be acting irresponsibly if we unleashed anymore pressure on what are already limited resources.
"It should remain what it is, a country village on Offa's Dyke."
Councillor Martin Bennett commented: "I am aware, as with a lot of planning applications, it is no longer a case of black and white it is 50 shades of grey."
He continued: "If we have a five-year land supply then we can attach significance to what people want."
However council officers warned, in order to be a responsible authority, the decision must be balanced and include the positives and negatives associated with the application.
Previously the committee heard the proposal was "unsustainable" due to the lack of amenities and transport links, while Julian Francis from Trefonen Rural Protection Group said the application would "remove the greenfield final wedge which comes right into the heart of the community."
The meeting also heard how Oswestry Rural Parish Council has twice revised its views following amendments and comments from residents to now stand against the plans, while Councillor Joyce Barrow for St Oswalds, who said she had been "overwhelmed" by the number of objections, warned of the potential to increase the number of homes from the current 22.
She also urged members of the committee to listen to the parish plan which was created with the help of residents, commenting: "The people of Trefonen know what they want and we should embrace this principal."
However members also heard that the homes could benefit the village and help secure the future of the village primary school.