ad

Wrexham Council cutbacks continue

Published date: 06 May 2014 |
Published by: Emily Davies 
Read more articles by Emily Davies  Email reporter


 

CUTBACKS look set to continue, councillor’s heard at Chirk’s annual meeting.
Wrexham Council representatives councillors Ian Roberts and Terry Evans, revealed the unitary authority is set to face a further £9 million cut this year, with a potential for the same in 2014/15.
It comes on top of the £15m cuts that impacted the council last year and have led to local authority’s like Chirk forced to take over responsibility of the town’s play areas.
Cllr Roberts said: “Cutbacks will have a detrimental effect on all of us.
“We thought last year was difficult and we are paying for it now, but this year it’s going to be worse.”
The tight budgets were also highlighted by outgoing town council chairman, Councillor Frank Hemmings.
In a prepared speech, the leader who was unable to attend Wednesday’s meeting said he was “very proud” to have served the last 12 months, but added the year had been marred by the ongoing  cuts.
He said: “We have been able to take on maintenance of the play areas at no extra cost to taxpayers, it has been hard work for the clerk and the councillors.
“We continue to provide services for the people of Chirk and they are getting good value for money with the play areas, playing fields and the parish hall – they are all assets to the area.”
Chirk’s entry in last year’s Wales in Bloom and its hosting of last year’s awards ceremony, as well as the new 21st Century medical centre, disabled access at Chirk Station and the ongoing call for new surfacing along the main B5070 were also singled out by the trio of councillors.
Cllr Roberts added: “It’s difficult, but we got many positives.”

For more news from across the region visit newsnorthwales.co.uk

 

Featured Businesses

View all adverts