ad

Burglars target village PO for second time in 15 months

Published date: 07 January 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


A VILLAGE post office has been broken into for the second time in 15 months.
Trefonen Post Office and local stores was burgled and a quantity of cash taken shortly after the premises on Bellan Lane was closed for the day at around 6.30pm on New Year’s Day.
Police had arrested and bailed a man on suspicion of burglary by lunchtime on Thursday, January 2.
It comes after the business was targeted in an early morning raid in October 2012, in which postmaster Peter Sayles was assaulted and suffered a minor cut to the head.
Mr Sayles was not available for comment.

Marie Martin, who owns the property and ran the business for over 60 years with her late husband, said she did not know any details, but would be making sure pre-ordered newspapers were available for customers on the Friday morning if the post office and shop had not re-opened.
Oswestry Rural Parish councillor and village resident, Tony Cheetham, said: “We went down in the morning and it was closed, and then again at 9.30am and it was still closed.
“It is worrying for the village. I don’t know exactly what went on, but Trefonen is a quiet, peaceful place.”
West Mercia Police spokesman, Richard Ewels, said an investigation had been launched along with an appeal for information.
“Police were alerted after the alarm on the premises was activated and were on the scene in minutes.
“A man has been arrested on suspicion of burglary and bailed while inquiries continue.
“Anyone who may have information that will assist with the investigation should call Oswestry Police Station on 101 or the anonymous Crimestoppers number on 0800 555 111,” he said.

 

Featured Businesses

View all adverts